No claims of absolute originality are made for this material. As one man said, "I milk a lot of cows, but I churn my own butter." Please use these sermons as the Lord leads, but nothing on this site may be used for profit without my expressed, written permission!
1 John 4:7-12 WHAT ARE THE FACTS ABOUT GOD'S LOVE
Intro: There is nothing like the love of God! It is the most overwhelming thing I have ever encountered in my life. It is the greatest thing God ever did for any of us! The reason I can say that is this, because He loved us, He was moved to do everything else that He has done. Allow me to say tonight that John's epistle has a 4-fold purpose.
That our joy might be full. (1:4)
That we might not sin. (2:1)
That we might know that we have eternal life. (5:13)
That we ourselves might love others.(4:11)
1 John is the great book of love. It is mentioned 46 times in 135 verses. It was written to combat a heresy known as Gnosticism. The Gnostic believed that knowledge was power. They felt that they had a special knowledge of God and His ways. John is writing to put them into their place! And, as he does, he tells the rest of us about a great God with a great love for great sinners. It's that great love of that Great God that I want to address for a few minutes. Let the Lord speak to your heart as we consider the thought, What Are The Facts About God's Love.
I. V. 7-11 THIS LOVE IS DESCRIBED IN THE CONTEXT
A. It Is Unspeakable - I can't understand it, or why, but I know I have experienced it and I can never be separated from it - Rom. 8:38-39
B. It Is Unending - Jer. 31:3…I have loved you with an everlasting love! God's love is eternal!
C. It Is Unselfish - Ill. It asks for nothing in return! However, it leads man to repent and turn to God in love - Rom. 2:4; 1 John 4:19- We love him because He first loved us!
D. It Is Unmerited - Cannot be earned or deserved!. (Ill. His love is based in His grace!) (Ill. Jesus and Jerusalem - Matt. 23:37.)
E. It Is Unconditional - It is not based on what we can or cannot produce, it comes from the heart of God. Man can never reach a place when he will not be loved by God! God loved us first, He loved us anyway and He loves us eternally!
F. His love is Supernatural, it is Sacrificing, it is Satisfying!
II. V.10 THIS LOVE WAS DEMONSTRATED AT CALVARY
A. God's love can never be fully understood, but it can be seen! It is best seen at the cross!
B. He Stood In The Gap - 2 Cor. 5:21- For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him!………….HE TOOK YOUR PLACE!
C. He Saved Us From Hell - It is His death on the cross, the death that released His precious blood, that opened the door of salvation for every sinner who will come to God. 1 Pet. 1:18-19;
Eph. 1:7- In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace!; Col. 1:14- in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.;
Heb. 9:12-14. .. Rev. 1:5- To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood!
Thank God for the Blood of the Lord Jesus!!!!!
III. V.11-12 THIS LOVE IS DISPLAYED IN THE CHRISTIAN
A. It will be visible if it is possessed!
B. Notice throughout the Bible, there have been men who demonstrated God's love:
1. Forgiving Love - Joseph - Gen. 45:1-8……lied about, sold as a slave, ripped from his home and father, falsely accused. put in prison, waiting waiting waiting all because of his jealous brothers!……..YET HE STILL FORGAVE…………………What’s your hangup?
2. Redeeming Love - Hosea - Hos. 3:1-3…………wife named Gomer…..a prostitute….yet!!….what redeeming love!
3. Compassionate Love Peter denied Him ..lied about Him ..Yet Jesus still said ..On this Rock I will build my church!
4. Healing Love Me…………..angry…..bitter……jealous……..burning with lust………Yet Jesus still reached down and picked me up out of the sewer!………Psalm 103:1-4
C. When the love of God is present in the life of a believer, it will be visible in5 different areas.
1. Love For The Savior (Ill. John 14:15- If you love me keep my commandments!) (Ill. Ephesus - Rev. 2:4- you have left your first love!………)
2. Love For The Scriptures……………… (John 5:39)
3. Love For The Sanctuary (Heb. 10:25- not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together , as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another and so much more as you see the day approaching……)
(Ill. David - Psalms 122:1- I WAS GLAD WHEN THEY SAID TO ME, LET US GO INTO THE HOUSE OF THE LORD!)
4. Love For The Saints (1 John 4:20-21; 1 John 5:1-3) (Ill. John 13:35 - 1 John 4:12! When the saints walk in love, then God will be seen!)
5. Love For The Sinners -. Jesus had a heart for sinners - (Ill. God's love is more than just being loved! It is opening our lives so that the Lord can love through us. So that He can reach a world for Himself.)
Conc: We ought to praise the Lord today for His overwhelming love! We can shout, we can run, we can turn flips and act like monkeys, but the best means we have of thanking Him for His love is by letting Him love through our lives and reach others for Jesus. I invite you to join me today as I ask the Lord to help me to love like Jesus. I thank Him for loving me, and I am sure you do too. Today let's show that love for God by doing His will and being what He would have us be, and by loving like He would have us love. By loving others exactly as we have been loved by God - Matt. 22:39- you shall love your neighbor as yourself!!.