No claims of absolute originality are made for this material. As one man said, "I milk a lot of cows, but I churn my own butter." Please use these sermons as the Lord leads, but nothing on this site may be used for profit without my expressed, written permission!
Judges 1:1-2; 2:1-4; 16
CONFRONTING A NATIONAL DISASTER
Intro: It does not take
very long to discover that the book of Judges is not a very pleasant book. In fact, it one of the darkest books in the
Bible. It describes a period in
had birthed them in the furnace of grace and had delivered them from the horrible
of slavery in
had given Israel Himself; He gave them a Lord.
we stand on the eve of our nation’s 229th anniversary as a free,
sovereign country. There is no doubt
I want to look back into the ancient past.
I want to watch
My friend, in these verses we can see a portrait of our nation as it is today and we can get a glimpse of what lies in store for America, if she does not return to God.
Whether you know it or not, we are facing a real crisis in our nation. We have religion, but there is no fear of God. We have civilization and culture, but they are built on the shifting sands of human philosophy and wisdom and not the firm foundation of the Word of God. I would like for us to look around today, even as we look back. I would like to take these verses and preach for a few minutes on the subject Confronting A National Disaster.
A. They Enjoyed God’s Providence – Verse 2, “I have delivered…” God was going before them, preparing the way for certain victory. There was no way they could lose as long as God was behind them, ahead of them, above them and all around them, Rom. 8:31.
They Enjoyed God’s Protection
– Verse 19, “And the LORD was with
C. They Enjoyed God’s Power– Verse 4, which says “and the LORD delivered…”, tells us Who the real power on the battlefield was. He is the God of all power, Matt. 28:18; Eph. 3:20!
They Enjoyed God’s Promises
– For hundreds of years, beginning with Abraham, Gen. 12:1, God had been promising to give the nation of
(Note: I know that
see, just as surely as
March 23, 1775 in the
great American named George Washington, the first president of our country, the
II. 2:1-2 A NATION MARRED BY GRADUAL COMPROMISE
they entered the land, they had been commanded to utterly destroy the people of
1:19 The Canaanites They Feared – After some initial success, 1:4-19a,
1:27-30 The Canaanites They Favored – We are told here that many of
the tribes did not drive out the people of the land, but merely put them to
tribute. That is, they enslaved the
Canaanites and forced them to work for
C. 1:32-33 The Canaanites They Frequented – It gets worse! In these verses we are told that some of the Israelites “dwelt among the Canaanites.” They became accustomed to the vile and wicked ways of the Canaanites and accepted them for who they were.
(Note: Of course, this same trend can be seen here in
In 1960 a poll was taken that showed that 65% of Americans believed that the Bible was the inerrant, inspired Word of God. Another poll was taken in 1992 and by then only 32% still believed the Bible was the perfect Word of God. In other words, less than one-third of Americans believe that there is a perfect standard for judging what is right and wrong. Judges 2:10 is being lived out before our eyes!
Another poll taken in 1992 asked this simple question: Do you believe that there are moral absolutes? Do you believe that there are some things that are absolutely wrong and some things that are absolutely right? 70% of those who answered that poll said that they did not believe in moral absolutes! That is scary! Our children are being taught that there are no absolutes. There are no wrong answers. Nothing is right and nothing is wrong. That is frightening if you follow it to its logical end. It means that abortion, murder, drugs use, alcohol use, pre-marital and extra-marital sex, etc, is all right if you want to do it.
thank God that we still have the church right?
Not so fast! A recent survey
found that only 57% of professing Christians believed in moral absolutes. We are in a mess in
as they did in
there are the Canaanites that we favor. Things like legalized gambling, lotteries and
alcohol are accepted by society because they are supposed bring revenue into
the hands of the community and the government.
But what about their enormous cost?
What about broken homes? What
about shattered innocence? What about a
system that preys on the poorest among us?
Look at the price
fear some Canaanites; we favor others; but there are some that we frequent. That is, we live around sin so much that we
begin to get desensitized to it. Instead
of maintaining our spiritual purity, we begin to adopt the ways of the
world. We talk like them; we walk like
them; we do what they do; go where they go; watch what they watch; like what
they like; smoke what they smoke; drink what they drink. We have adopted the attitude that sin is not
all that bad anymore. We have allowed to walls of separation that existed
between the church and the world to erode to the place that it is hard to tell
the difference between the two any longer.
Friend, don’t be fooled, you cannot play around with sin and not get
burned, Pro. 6:27. Things have a way of getting out of
hand quicker than you can imagine.
We have become a nation of compromisers. We are afraid to take a stand against sin for fear of being labeled “intolerant.” We are so politically correct that we are afraid we might offend someone with our “religion.” We are already paying a high price for our disobedience; but I am afraid that we are slated for far harsher judgment as a nation.
III. 2:3-4 A NATION MAIMED BY GRIM CONSEQUENCES
2:3 They Endured A Divine Sentence – God vowed to remove His
protecting hand from
· Militarily we are weak and stretched to the limit. We are vulnerable to military attack. All the while our enemies grow stronger and bolder every day.
Economically we are in serious
trouble. People are struggling as they lose their jobs
· Culturally, we are fighting a losing battle. The divorce rates have quadrupled in the past 30 years. Teen suicide has doubled and violent crime has risen 500%. One out of every three children is born to a single mother. In some cities the illegitimacy rates are as high as 80%!
· Morally we are totally bankrupt. Our government spends nearly 200 million dollars per year teaching kids how to use condoms. They use that same money to attack abstinence based sex education. 56 million Americans are suffering from a venereal disease of one form or the other.
· Spiritually we are in a deplorable condition. The Bible and prayer have been removed from our schools. The Ten Commandments continue to be attacked and relegated to the dust bin of history. Just this week, the Supreme Court came down against a display of the Ten Commandments in a court house. Some people fear the Ten Commandments. They say they might be dangerous to some child who might read them. I don’t know about you, but I would rather take my chances with someone who had been exposed to the bible, prayer and the Ten Commandments; than someone who had been taught that there is no such thing as right and wrong.
· We are under attack in the natural realm as well. Look at the hurricanes, the earthquakes, the floods, the tornadoes, the fires and fierce storms that are afflicting every part of our country.
· These are but a few of the signs that we are facing impending judgment from God. The fact is, our Protector has removed His hand of protection. But, it is not God’s fault. We have no one to blame but ourselves, Jer. 2:19! We are reaping the crop that we have been sowing for the last 100 years, Gal. 6:7! We have sown to the wind and we are reaping the whirlwind!
B. 2:4-5 They Expressed Deep Sorrow – That generation called on the Lord because of their sins. Folks, repentance is the only hope this nation has! I am firmly convinced that the only thing holding this country up today is the prayers of a remnant of godly people. I challenge you to seek the face of the Lord for your nation!
2:6-15 They Evidenced Deepening Sin – The day came when
Conc: I realize that this has been a
hard message. I love this nation and I
want to see
Today, I want to challenge you to do a few things for me as we prepare to close. First, I wonder who might feel led to come and pray for our nation, our President and for God to send revival one more time. Who will align themselves with God and seek to confront a national disaster?
Second, there may be some people here who have never trusted Jesus as their Savior. Friend, He loves you and died for you. If you would like to be saved and He is calling you to come to Him, you can come right now.
Third, Some of God’s precious saints have been guilty of walking in compromise with the world and you need to get that matter straightened out with the Lord today.
If He is speaking to your heart today, I invite you to come to Him and get what you need.